Safety Protocols for Your Home
When preparing for winter weather, many homeowners rely on whole-house generators and
portable generators to power their homes in the event of a long-term power outage.
THEY ARE GREAT RESOURCES FOR YOUR HOME, BUT CONSIDER THESE RISKS:
CARBON MONOXIDE POISONING:
Keep generators outdoors, away from doors, windows and vents that could allow CO indoors. CO can’t be seen
or smelled; if you start to feel sick, dizzy, or weak while using a generator, get to fresh air right away and call for
assistance! To better prepare your home, install CO alarms in central locations on every level of your home and
outside sleeping areas. That way, if there are dangerous levels of CO in your home, you’ll be alerted right away.
ELECTROCUTION OR ELECTRIC SHOCK:
Water and electricity do not mix–and that stands true with generator safety, too. To avoid electrocution, do not use in rainy or wet conditions. It’s also important to not handle the generator with wet hands to avoid electric shock.
BURNS AND FIRE:
When utilizing a generator, it’s always a good idea to have an extra fuel source. Store fuel for the generator
in an American National Standards Institute-approved container in a cool, well-ventilated place. Check the
instructions or the label on the generator to determine what type of fuel to use. To guard against accidental fire, do not store it near a fuel-burning appliance, such as a natural gas water heater in a garage.
Never plug a stationary generator into a wall outlet. This process is called “backfeeding” and can be deadly to those nearby. “Backfeeding” sends power out through the main breaker to the transformer. It then converts it to volts and tries to energize local utility lines. Workers attempting to restore power might unexpectedly encounter this high voltage, which could cause fatal shock. To prevent a “backfeed,” have a professional install a transfer switch.
For more information, go to KyElectric.coop, search Gen