Skip to main navigation.

Diagrams and Specifications FAQ


Frequently Asked Questions


Q.   I’ve decided to build a house.  What is my first step to initiate electrical service?

A.   You may visit one of our offices to initiate your new service.  If you are not an existing Nolin member, you will first come into the office and set up your account. New members will need to present two forms of identification, one being a government-issued photo ID.  At that time, you will fill out the proper paperwork, pay your membership fee, and we will provide you with all necessary information to proceed with new service.

Q.   Will Nolin perform an on-site visit before I begin my construction project?

A.   If necessary, Nolin will visit your site and discuss options for service prior to purchase of property. To set up an appointment, please call our office at 270.765.6153.

Q.   Can I set my own pole for temporary service?

A.   Yes, you may either furnish your own meter pole or lease a pole from Nolin.  For member-furnished poles, the member is responsible for obtaining a Kentucky state certified electrical inspection before Nolin can make a service connection. Temporary poles leased from Nolin must also be inspected in the same manner and any inspection fees must be paid to Nolin when signing a temporary service agreement. For more specific information regarding leased Nolin equipment, please see Nolin’s Tariff Sheet No. 7, Section 16.

Q.   How long can I maintain temporary service?

A.   Temporary service shall not exceed twelve (12) months unless prior arrangements are made with Nolin.  Please see Nolin’s Tariff Sheet No. 7, Section 16 for more specific information.

Q.   What is considered a permanent dwelling?

A.   A permanent dwelling is considered to be an on-site constructed or modular home on a permanent foundation or a double-wide trailer provided it is also on a permanent foundation with tongue and axels removed.

      Single-wide trailers do not constitute a permanent dwelling.

Q.   I’m building a new house (permanent dwelling).  How much will it cost to get electrical service?

A.   Nolin will build 1,000’ or less of a single phase line at no additional charge to you.  If the line exceeds 1,000’, the total cost over that 1,000’ will be the member’s responsibility.  Please see Nolin’s Tariff Sheet No. 16, Section 34 for more specific information.

Q.  What is the cost to get electrical service to my single-wide, barn or garage (non-permanent dwelling)?

A.   Nolin will make all extensions up to 150’ at no additional charge to you.  Extensions greater than 150’ shall be made at your expense along with a “Consumer Advance for Construction” CAFC) advance.  Please see Nolin’s Tariff Sheet No. 16.1, Section 34C for more specific information.

Q.   How long will it take to get service connected?

A.   Upon receipt of state certified electrical inspection Nolin RECC strives to install service connections as quickly as possible. Rare circumstances or site-specific conditions could introduce additional delays. 

Q.   Does Nolin require my service to be underground?

A.   Yes.  Exceptions may be granted by Nolin personnel when site-specific conditions do not permit underground installation.  Additionally, if primary facilities are needed, they can also be installed underground.  Conduit installation for both primary and secondary shall be built to Nolin’s specification and inspected by Nolin personnel.  The installation of conduits shall be performed by and at the expense of the member.

Q.   At what depth do underground conduits need to be installed?

A.   The depth for secondary installations should be forty-two (42) inches from the final grade to the top of the conduit.  For primary installations, the depth should be forty-eight (48) inches from the final grade to the top of the conduit.  For additional information, reference the applicable diagram or schematic in the “Diagrams and Specifications” library on Nolin RECC’s website.

Q.   Why am I required to get an electrical inspection?

A.   All commercial, industrial, farm and residential wiring installations must meet the standards of the National Electrical Code NFPA 70, Kentucky Department of Housing, Buildings and Construction and Local Codes as provided in the Kentucky Administrative Regulations and Kentucky Revised Statutes.  All new installations are required to obtain a certificate of approval from a Kentucky State Certified Electrical Inspector before Nolin can lawfully connect permanent service to the building.

Q.   Who will perform my electrical inspection?

A.   All member-owned infrastructure will be subject to an inspection by a Kentucky State Certified Electrical Inspector.  It will be the responsibility of the member to obtain the state inspection. 

Q.   Can Nolin make electrical service repairs to my property?

A.   Nolin employees are prohibited from making repairs to member-owned equipment or property.  Nolin employees are not certified licensed electricians.  In very rare circumstances or in cases of emergency Nolin may take minimal action if it eliminates a public hazard.

Q.   I’m planning to excavate for a construction project.  How do I get my underground service located?

A.   To locate underground services, state law requires you to call Kentucky 811 at 800-752.6007 with at least a two working day notice. 

Q.   Am I allowed to attach anything to a Nolin pole?

A.   No.  Occasionally, Nolin will find member-owned items such as fences, basketball goals, lights, cameras, etc. attached to poles.  In these cases, Nolin will remove these items at its discretion.  

Q.   Nolin RECC has right-of-way on my property.  What does this mean?

A.   Right-of-way easements grant Nolin unobstructed access (ingress/egress) to its facilities located on a member’s property.  Periodically this may mean that Nolin personnel and their equipment will perform work on the facilities within the easement.  Additionally, any vegetation located within the easement will be managed by Nolin RECC to aid in the best possible reliability of your electric service.

      Right-of-way easements are often found on property lines.  It is very common that a member will have items such as fences, gates, small portable buildings, and decorative vegetation/landscaping located within the easement boundaries.  While not illegal, these items may sometimes prohibit the access that Nolin needs.  Nolin will make efforts to avoid interference with the member-owned items in the easement but cannot guarantee that all such items will be unaffected when the easement is accessed.

      Permanent structures (i.e. barns, shops, garages, grain bins, pools, etc.) should not be located within the utility easement.  If these items are found within Nolin easements, relocations may be required at the member’s expense.

Specific questions would be best answered through a site visit with Nolin personnel.

Q.   There is a Nolin line across my property that I would like relocated.  Will Nolin move that line?

A.   At the request of the property owner, Nolin will review options for line relocation (Tariff PSC KY No. 10 - The cooperative's established lines will not be relocated unless the expense for moving and relocating is paid by the member, except in instances where it would be to the advantage of the cooperative to make such relocation). All expenses incurred to Nolin by performing the line relocation shall be borne by the requesting member.

Q.  Why?

A.   All right-of-way easements were granted by current or previous property owners.  Alterations to those easements and construction of new utility plant results in substantial costs to Nolin’s membership base.



Powered by Touchstone Energy Cooperatives Logo
Co-op Connections Card Kids Energy Zone Cooperative Action Network