Member Privacy and Confidentiality Policy
The purpose of this policy is to establish the basis on which Nolin Rural Electric Cooperative Corporation (Nolin RECC) collects, uses, protects and share information provided by members. Nolin RECC respects the privacy and confidentiality of member information. This policy describes the information that Nolin RECC collects from its members as a routine part of its operations and how it uses, protects and shares that information.
WHAT CATEGORIES OF INFORMATION ARE COLLECTED?
- Contact information, including a member’s name, address, telephone number and e-mail address. Nolin RECC may also collect a user name and password for online access.
- Billing information, including Social Security number, credit information, financial account information and payment history.
- Electric usage data gathered by Nolin RECC’s metering systems, a member’s service history and information maintained for meter reading purposes (e.g. warning about a dog in the yard).
- Capital and patronage account information for members and former members as well as contract information for former members resulting from membership and governance activities.
- Responses to member survey(s) conducted by Nolin RECC to identify needs or improve service.
- Additional information about a member or a member’s property, appliances and activities obtained through services offered by Nolin RECC or its affiliates (such as home improvement or critical account status).
WHAT ARE THE PURPOSES FOR COLLECTION, ACCESS AND CORRECTION?
- Nolin RECC collects and maintains information about members for purposes that are suitable to its operations and management. Information is collected only through lawful and fair means and for appropriate purposes.
- Nolin RECC is committed to maintaining accurate, complete, timely, relevant and appropriate information about members as necessary for the purpose for which the information is to be used. Nolin RECC generally permits its members to access and seek correction of records about themselves that are maintained and used by Nolin RECC to provide service, for billing and to manage capital accounts. Any requests for, or disputes relating to access, correction or other matters should be directed to:
Nolin Rural Electric Cooperative Corporation
ATTN: Office Services Department
411 Ring Road
Elizabethtown, KY 42701
- Nolin RECC may provide usage data to members who have access to electric usage data through an interface, such as a website.
WHEN DOES NOLIN RECC COLLECT MEMBER INFORMATION?
- When members create an account and interact with Nolin RECC regarding their account, utility service or participation in Nolin RECC programs.
- When members use electricity service and metering systems, including smart meters.
- When members interact with Nolin RECC through its website.
- When Nolin RECC interacts with third parties, such as credit agencies.
HOW DOES NOLIN USE AND RETAIN MEMBER INFORMATION?
- Nolin RECC uses information about members in defined and responsible ways in order to manage, provide and improve its products, services and operations.
- Data about members’ electric usage may be compiled in aggregate form and such data may be used by Nolin RECC to improve system operations, efficiency and overall customer service.
- Nolin RECC retains member information, including energy usage data, in such amounts and for such periods of time as required by law or regulation or as reasonably necessary to provide services.
WHAT SECURITY MEASURES ARE IN PLACE TO PROTECT MY INFORMATION?
- Nolin RECC maintains member information with reasonable and appropriate technical, administrative, physical and cyber safeguards to protect against loss, unauthorized access, destruction, misuse, modification and improper disclosure of member information. However, no system can ever be fully protected against every possible hazard.
- Nolin RECC requires its employees, affiliates and contractors who have access to member information to comply with this privacy and confidentiality policy.
- Member information that members may access through Nolin RECC’s online account system is protected using cyber security protocols designed to prevent unauthorized third parties from accessing such information.
WHEN DOES NOLIN DISCLOSE MY INFORMATION TO THIRD PARTIES?
- Nolin RECC does not share member information (e.g., a member’s electric usage data and information that can reasonably be used to identify an individual) with a third party, except at the member’s request, with the member’s consent or as described below. Members who wish to authorize Nolin RECC to disclose their information to a third party may do so by contacting Nolin RECC as described above.
- Information may be disclosed to affiliates or contractors hired by Nolin RECC to assist in carrying out operations, such as service, maintenance, billing and management functions including legal, audit and collection services. Information may also be shared with other utilities under shared service agreements or to meet operational requirements. Information will only be disclosed to such persons to the extent necessary to render the services, and only to those who agree to maintain the confidentiality and security of the information.
- Nolin RECC may disclose to and share information with commercial and consumer credit reporting agencies for credit-related activities (e.g., the reporting of bad debts).
- Sufficiently aggregated information may be disclosed to third parties where necessary or beneficial for Nolin RECC’s operations (for example, to improve efficiency and overall customer service).
- Information may be disclosed when authorized or required by law, including in response to a search warrant, subpoena or court or law enforcement order. For example, Nolin RECC may use and disclose records for investigations into employee misconduct or for law enforcement investigations related to its business. Disclosures may also be made when appropriate to protect Nolin RECC’s legal rights or in situations involving an imminent threat to life or property. Nolin RECC will take reasonable steps to limit the scope and consequences of any of these disclosures.
- In addition, information may be shared with affiliates and partners of Nolin RECC to communicate or promote services and/or information of interest to members. Members may request that their information not be shared with affiliates or partners for the offering of new products and services by contacting Office Services as described above. Nolin RECC does not sell, rent, loan, exchange or otherwise release member information to non-affiliated third parties or partners for their marketing purposes without a member’s prior consent.
- Nolin RECC may make information regarding third party products and services available to members through its website.
This policy supersedes any existing policy which may be in conflict with the provisions of this policy.