I am traveling over 200 miles roundtrip for the first time tomorrow. In an effort to know how long a full charge takes, I let the battery get to 20% with a range of 53 miles. I put the car on Nolin’s level 2 charger this morning around 7:45am and the Ford app shows it is scheduled to be fully charged at 4:21pm. This is different from the display inside the car which showed a full charge reached just before 4pm.
One item of note, the “full” charge is shown above as 261 miles. The model of Mach-E that we have should have a range around 300 in the best of conditions. In researching this discrepancy , I have learned that the full charge range is an estimate based on past driving habits and other factors (and based on the charging check-in I document below, that range actually increased as the car charged).
Ford’s website says:
“Range and charge time based on manufacturer computer engineering simulations and EPA-estimated range calculation methodology. The charging rate decreases as battery reaches full capacity. Your results may vary based on peak charging times and battery state of charge. Actual vehicle range varies with conditions such as external elements, vehicle maintenance, lithium-ion battery age and state of health.”
Charging check-in throughout today:
- 2 hours and 13 minutes of charging, the range of 100% charge has increased to 270 miles. The Ford app shows 55 miles added so far during today’s charge. The weather today is mild for August in Kentucky, mid-80’s and cloudy.
- 3 hours and 46 minutes of charging, the range of 100% charge has increased to 274 miles. 106 miles added during the charge at this point. Estimate range now 168 miles, 61% charge.
- 5 hours and 8 minutes of charging, the range of 100% charge has increased to 279 miles. 140 miles added with a current estimated range of 203 miles at 72% charge.
- 6 hours and 23 minutes of charging, the range of 100% charge has increased to 282 miles. 177 miles added, current estimated range 239 miles, 84% charge.
- 8 hours and 31 minutes of charging, the driving range of 100% charge is 290 miles. Total distance added shows at 227 miles, 72kWh of energy and 100% charge.